Saturday, January 4, 2014

Training for the 3rd and 4th

On the 3rd I weighed in169.8, which was my first time below 170 during the cut.  As such I had a carb up day (after every five pound lost).  It's not a full on cheat day, so to speak, but rather a steep increase in carbs while trying to keep the other macros-- protein and fat-- pretty close to goal.  I was not successful with the fat. I should have eaten baked chips rather than regular.  This would have saved me 25 grams of fat and keep me close to goal.  And now that I look at it, I was low on protein.  So there's that.

Today was also my rest day.

2,346 calories/ 267 carb / 86 fat / 124 protein


On the 4th I weighed in at 171.2.

Today was my scheduled long run of 8 miles.  We're buried under snow here in Massachusetts, and the roads aren't decent enough for outdoor running yet-- hopefully next weekend.  So, I ran on the treadmill at 6.0 mph/0% grade.  A couple of thoughts: (1)  I'm still pretty fat.  I'm guessing 13-15% body fat from how I look in the mirror and my past experience from owning a body fat calculator.  Any amount of speed is not going to come back until I cut another ten pounds.  So for now I'm just going to have to suffer.  (2)  Because I'm only running twice per week, I've elected to morph my "long day" into a hybrid long/tempo day.  So instead of doing easy miles in the 150 bpm range, I dialed up the intensity.  (3) I surged the last mile, moving up the speed from 6.0 in stages, ultimately doing the last quarter mile at 7.0.  I have no idea if this has any merit, but mentally I like to test myself regularly when I'm drained.  I don't think race day should be the first time you get yourself in a pinch.

Further thoughts: I really had to play some mental games with myself to get through this run.  First I compartmentalized the run into 60 minutes plus 20 minutes of gutting it out ("It's just 60 minutes one mile at a time.  We'll deal with the last 20 when we get there.").  At 40 minutes, however, I was really hurting with a cramp and fatigue.  I poked at the cramp for a few minutes and it got better.  I'm not sure if this worked, or if the Infinit Nutrition "Speed" mix kicked in.  [side note: I started using Infinit Nutrition on my long bike rides after learning about the product from the Coach Jeff Triathlon Podcast.  It's pretty much salty Gatorade and I found it great for fending off the cramps towards the end of training sessions.]  I felt really good during miles 5 and 6.

1,941 calories / 240 carb / 32 fat / 180 protein

Training on the 4th:

Push workout:

Incline bench 185 lbs x 10, 8, 7

Incline flys: 20 x 12 x 3 (I've neglected fly movements forever, and as a wiley vet I know to start small and build patiently)

Standing overhead press 95 x 15, 13, 12

Dumbell laterals 25 x 8 x 3

Dumbell bench 60 x 12 x 2

Cable flys 25 x 20 x 2

Dumbell overhead press 40 x 15, 12

Front raises 25 x 8 x 2

Ab wheel 10 x 2

Leg raises 10 x 2

Pushdowns 50 x 15 x 2

Ab twist machine 50 x 12

Back sit ups x 15

Running 8 miles: 7 @ 6mph, 0% grade, last mile surging up to 7.0mph, 0% grade

Calories burned = 1,130

Net calories =  811







 

No comments:

Post a Comment