Saturday, January 18, 2014

First Triathlon - Latitudes Indoor Series, Race #1 (1/18/14)

I completed my first triathlon today, coming in second place.  It wasn't a very strong field and looking at past results my score would have been closer to 4th or 5th in the typical middle-aged heavey field.  However, it was great to get through my first race.  I wasn't nervous until the race started, and was then nervous underwater 50 or so yards.

The race is a bit odd in that the bike wasn't tracked, but rather a spinning type class.  Overall the race was 60 minutes with 15 minutes of total transition time (15 swim, 25 bike, 20 run).

Swim

I completed 16 laps in 15 minutes, which equates to a 1:52.5 per 100 yard pace.  I worked really hard during the Thursday night swim class, and I was defintely fatigued from the new body weight routine from the previous night.  Extrapolated to a 1,900 yards for the half ironman in August, I'd be looking at ~ 36 minutes.  As a new swimmer I'm thrilled with this.


Bike

Again, I have no idea what the distance or speed was.  We did a a couple of simulated hills and some intervals.  My average heart rate was 145bpm and maxed at 159bpm, so I was definitely working and my legs were feeling the sting on the hills.

Run

I covered 2.3 miles in 20 minutes during the run, which equates to 8:42 miles.  I was hoping for closer to 8 minutes, but that was a loft goal.  My quickest mile to day is 7:38.  If you add a portion of the 33 second equalizer for a 5k, say 22 seconds, we at 8 minutes miles, which was my thinking.  But if you include the swim and bike exertion, perhaps +:40 on top of the run-only equalizer would be more appropriate.  My average heart rate was 171bpm with a max of 178bpm.  Again, I worked really hard.  20 minutes of red-linning isn't a bad effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment